Monday, June 26, 2006

Wrong side of the daylight

This weekend was the first I have spent in Oslo for awhile. There were no weekend trips or anything like that. It was Midsummer Night-the longest night of the year. Here, that means there is about 1 or 2 hours of semi-darkness. Friday night included an evening at a Norwegian friend's house for some delicious homemade pizza followed by an extensive "pre-party" before going to a bar. At 4 am, the streets were as light and busy as if it were 3 or 4 pm. Sometimes, you don't know when you are going home. A few nights ago, a friend and I were walking home and I asked what time it was. She said 12:30. It was actually 2:30. I said she was on the wrong side of the daylight. It can be confusing!

It was Gay Pride Weekend, so there was a big parade on Saturday. We walked to the pier, where there was a carnival. My friends Amber and Stacy and I decided to ride "The Waltzer" which is what I would call a tilt-a-whirl. It was 11:30 am, so we happened to be the only ones on the ride. The young man running the ride stood by our car the whole time pushing us for extra spin. It was great for the first few minutes. However, our laughter turned silent as the queasiness took over. We were yelling and waving "stop!" but he kept pushing! Fortunately, no one vomited.

This tractor was all decorated for the parade. It was good to see something that reminded me of home!


Saturday night included more of the same-drinking and bars. We went to a night club that was super expensive but fun (for a night anyway!)

On Sunday, Stacy and I tried to take a tour of the Royal Palace. They only offer tours during the summer "high season" for tourists. However, all the English tours were sold out. We sat in the park by the palace for awhile, where there was a pond with many ducks swimming around. There were many babies that were so cute! However, the cuteness of the scene was ruined when a big, dirty seagull came around and kept swooping and trying to snag a baby duck! I guess he got sick of eating garbage. The mother ducks chased him away a few times, but he still managed to get a baby and I had the pleasure of seeing the seagull eat the poor thing!


I appologize to anyone who reads this for the increasingly boring posts and pictures. I have passed the stage of tourist, so I haven't been taking as many lately. Only a few more days till I come home!
Here is a funny statue: It's 2 hens and a rooster. It doesn't really make much sense.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home