Wednesday, June 28, 2006

What I'll Miss, What I Miss!

Well everyone, this is likely going to be my last post. I leave for ND on Friday. I can't believe it's already over. I have missed many aspects of home. For example:
-People, of course!
-Hot summer weather, although I'm sure I will complain about being too hot when I get back.
-Having a vehicle. The walking has made my legs pretty muscular. Also, taking public transportation really makes you feel like a part of a city, not just a tourist. Even better, going out at night is alot more fun and relaxing without having to worry about designated drivers, where your vehicle is, etc. However, it will be wonderful to drive again.
-Preservatives in food. Foods are labeled "no preservatives!" like it's a good think. I don't think it's a good thing when my bread and milk is rotten after 4 days.
-Cherry Coke
-Not feeling bad when telling someone you only speak English. Students here learn at least 2 languages in addition to Norwegian. Everyone speaks English, and they are usually very good at it. I usually feel bad about it when we are with a group of Norwegian students will be talking with each other in English, and you know it's for your benefit. I hope none of you are ever impatient with someone who doesn't speak English well. I know how it feels now and it helps when the person you are talking to is understanding.
-Not being harassed about American government. Every time we go to a bar, someone always gets to talking to someone who only wants to rant about America, G.W. Bush, the war, etc. I understand thier criticism of course, but we get enough law talk at school every day. We go to bars to get away from it!
-The English system of measurement.
-Big, greedy American portions at restaurants! FEED ME! One night a friend and I ordered nachos at TGIFridays. To our dismay, the plate cost alot and only had 12 chips on it! WHAT??
-Light beer. Good thing we walk so much. Otherwise, the beer would be visible on my belly.
-Cheap everything.-food, clothes, alcohol, soda, candy, everything.

I will miss many things about Norway and specifically Oslo as well such as...
-The vibrant atmosphere of the city. There are always people walking everywhere, a huge variety of places to eat, shop, or just sit and hang out. There are people playing music in the streets, trains and busses everywhere, and flowers planted all around.
-The Norwegian friends we have met here. It's unfortunate to think that we probably won't see them again.
-The Huk beach. It was a really nice beach for swimming and laying in the sand.
-These little disposable grills. They are really cheap, and a great way to make supper with friends on the beach or in a park. A few nights ago, some of us grilled by the river where we live. That area is known as a place to get drugs, and we saw about 5 drug deals happen while we were there. 2 old junkies were sitting about 10 feet away from us just drinking, smoking, and using! If you don't bother them, they don't bother you. I tried to put a picture of us around our grill, but it wouldn't load for some reason. SORRY!
-The delicious lunch options at Deli de Luca (it's like a convenience store). They have calzones, sandwiches, mini pizzas, mmmm!
-The hills and trees and fjord.
-The candy. It is delicious.

There is much more I could write, but I need to pack and study! I wish I didn't have to study...I forgot there was finals involved in this whole adventure. I have appreciated hearing from everyone at home! I can't wait to see you all again!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home